This healthy weeknight Mac N Cheese has all your favourite cheesey flavours with a few healthy additions that your family will love!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup onions
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 cup whole wheat noodles
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 1/3 cup light double cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- In a pot with boiling water, add chopped cauliflower. Cook for 3 mins and remove with a slotted spoon.
- When the cauliflower is done, in the same pot, cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan melt better over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until a golden colour.
- Sprinkle in flour and continue to stir so flour is absorbed in.
- Add milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce your heat until everything thickens a little.
- Remove from heat, and add 1 1/3 cup of cheese and stir until mixed in.
- Add the cooked cauliflower and pasta. Mix together and pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese, and bake for 20 mins or until cheese bubbles.
Freeze It: Before the you bake it, let it come to room temperature. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese, cover with tin foil, and freeze. To cook from frozen, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Keep tin foil on and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until middle is bubbly (another 20 minutes).
Keywords: cheese, cauliflower, pasta, healthy, weeknight meal, lighter