Healthy Baked Mac n’ Cheese
Yup, it’s that time of year we are always saying how we want to eat healthier, work out more, become more organized, feel more centred… you know the usual stuff. When it comes to organizing and making healthier choices, I put together two posts for you:
Meal Planning 101: The Basics – The beginners guide to meal planning + A FREE PRINTABLE! (click for more details)
Then I followed up with:
Meal Prep Like A Boss! The best way to make your weeks easy and delicious + TWO FREE PRINTABLES. (click for more).
Well today I’m here to show you eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. It also doesn’t mean having to give up delicious comfort foods. And it’s not just me! I have some amazing Canadian food bloggers joining me, and I couldn’t pass up sharing all of our inspiring and healthy meals to keep your tummies full!
This version of Mac n’ Cheese is lightened up using whole wheat noodles, skim milk, light cheese, and I added an extra vegetable to give it an extra boost of flavour and wholesomeness.Print
Healthy Baked Mac n’ Cheese
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
This healthy weeknight Mac N Cheese has all your favourite cheesey flavours with a few healthy additions that your family will love!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup onions
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 cup whole wheat noodles
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 1/3 cup light double cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- In a pot with boiling water, add chopped cauliflower. Cook for 3 mins and remove with a slotted spoon.
- When the cauliflower is done, in the same pot, cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan melt better over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until a golden colour.
- Sprinkle in flour and continue to stir so flour is absorbed in.
- Add milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce your heat until everything thickens a little.
- Remove from heat, and add 1 1/3 cup of cheese and stir until mixed in.
- Add the cooked cauliflower and pasta. Mix together and pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese, and bake for 20 mins or until cheese bubbles.
Freeze It: Before the you bake it, let it come to room temperature. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese, cover with tin foil, and freeze. To cook from frozen, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Keep tin foil on and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until middle is bubbly (another 20 minutes).
Keywords: cheese, cauliflower, pasta, healthy, weeknight meal, lighter
Think that sounds tasty? Why not add one of these amazing recipes in your weekly meal plan?
- Roasted Tomato Pasta Dinner by A Pretty Life Blog
- Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by I Say Nomato
- Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- One Pot Chicken, Barley and Veg by My Kitchen Love
- Parmesan Polenta with Poached Egg and Spinach by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Chicken and Chickpea Stew by Imagelicious
- Lentil Tacos by Cocoa Bean,The Vegetable
- Lighter Mac n Cheese by Fuchsia Freezer — > Hey! that’s me! 🙂
- One Pan Baked Salmon and Roasted Veggies by She Bakes Here
- Steamed Rice with Red Curry Coconut Squash by Sugar Love Spices
- Citrus + Soy Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Killing Thyme
- Tofu Fajitas with Guacamole Crema by The Refreshanista
What looks like your next dinner?
Mmmmm this looks delicious! I love the addition of cauliflower…it’s SO good with cheese and noodles!
I know right?! Made me think of cauliflower with cheese sauce when I was a kid 🙂
I knew there would be a way of making Mac N Cheese healthier and I think you have found it, perfect!
Omigod yes! Mac and cheese is my favourite comfort food. I just need to go buy a head of cauliflower. 🙂
I never thought of adding cauliflower to mac n cheese, but it makes sense. Great way to hide veggies from your picky eaters!
I add pureed veggies to my mac ‘n cheese too! I love adding to cauliflower to just about everything.
Those printables and posts are so helpful! I always start with the best of intentions when it comes to meal planning but basically end up in shambles by the end of the week, or go WAY over my budget! Need to stop going to the store hungry 🙂 Hiding veggies in your mac and cheese is so genius! Love this idea!
Love the cauliflower in this mac and cheese — it’s a cheat — but not ALL THE WAY carbo-loading! Genius!
My little brother just loves his mac and cheese! I’ll have to make this for him during his next visit home from college!
The cauliflower really adds to the flavor and bulk of this mac & cheese. Love it!
Looks delicious! I love adding cauliflower to cheese dishes – it seems to blend in perfectly. total yummy comfort food!
Oh my gawd yes! So delicious! Love the addition of cauliflower to mac and cheese it just works so well. Great recipe 🙂
Is there anything better than macaroni and cheese? Only macaroni and cheese with sneaky cauliflower! Great recipe! Love it!
Really cool idea with the cauliflower! I don’t use cauliflower enough because my husband despises it, but I should start buying it more often so I can enjoy it. Especially in mac’n’cheese form 😉
YUM. I love mac & cheese! And I love that you put cauliflower in it 🙂
Love Mac n cheese but don’t make it very often anymore as I’m trying to lose weight. A great idea to create a healthier baked version.
I love the addition of cauliflower in here! My kids happen to love it so this is surely going to be a hit in our house!
Cauliflower mac and cheese! I love that idea. I always sneak a little broccoli into my mac and cheese anyhow, so maybe I’ll just go full on cruciferous with the next round 🙂
I love healthy comfort food recipes, this sounds brilliant!
Yum! I will never give up macaroni and cheese, so you’re addition of cauliflower is the perfect way to healthy it up a bit!