Can you believe it’s the middle of the month already?! Where is the time going? I already had one birthday celebration on Tuesday (Audrey turned 5 years old! You can read more about that here), and we have another one coming up in 15 days… Ève (our oldest) turns 6 years old!
Is it just me or does time really seems to moving faster after having kids??
Well part of Audrey’s birthday celebrations involved food. This kid loves to cook, and to have delicious food (I wonder where she got that from… ;)). So as an appetizer I made her this simple Mushroom Bruschetta. I guess it all worked out well because…. that’s the ingredient this month! Selected by the oh-so-talented Amanda from The Chunky Chef. Amanda is an amazingly talented food blogger and I strongly recommend if you get a moment to pop over and see what’s cooking in her kitchen!
So with mushrooms on the mind, I tackled this easy appetizer, perfect for crowds big and small alike.
- 2 cups (total) of cremini & portobello mushrooms (mixture)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs + 1 tbsp of thyme
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 large baguette, cut on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a pan over medium heat melt the butter. Add the garlic & onion until fragrant and soft (about 3 minutes or so).
- While that’s cooking, brush olive oil onto sliced baguette pieces. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of thyme over all of them and bake in the oven until toasted (about 15 minutes).
- Back in the pan, add the mushrooms and the springs of thyme. Stir constantly for about a minute. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the mushrooms get a really deep grey colour. You don’t want to over cook these because they are diced and can turn mushy quickly.
- Serve over heated baguette and top with parsley & lemon zest.
But as you guessed, it’s a #FoodieMamas round up today. So the mushroom madness doesn’t stop here! Check out these absolutely fantastic recipes below!
Amanda from The Chunky Chef is sharing her delicious Easy Chicken Marsala!
Ali from Home and Plate took our ingredient of the month and turned it into this appetizing Chorizo Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms!
Foodie Mama Newbie Lucy, from Turnip The Oven is sharing her Easy Miso Mushroom Ramen!
The Busy Baker, Chrissie, shares her One-Pot Pepperoni Mushroom Pizza Pasta (I dare you to say that five times fast ;))!
Next we have Emily, from Best of This Life, sharing her fantastic take on mushrooms with this scrumptious Vegan Mushroom Risotto!
And we can’t forget about Manju, creator of Cooking Curries. She is sharing her Vegetarian Carbonara with Mushrooms and Asparagus recipe.
Sara from Life’s Little Sweets brings us Balsamic Marinated Baked Portobello Mushrooms.
And we have Deepika from Easy Baby Meals! She whipped up this delicious Mushroom Fried Rice.