Hello my awesome Foodie Friends! My Awesome #FoodieMamas are BACK with January’s round up, and this time things are looking up! We have somewhat rebranded ourselves and hope that you enjoy the new look and feel of our group! Today, my friend Sabrina from Dinner, Then Dessert decided our magical ingredient will be… couscous! In the spirit of openness and honesty, I have to say I was NOT excited. Couscous kind of got a bad rep in our house from a few experiences that were less then appetizing, so when this is what I was handed, I was more then sceptical.
Sabrina – THANK YOU for choosing this! I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work with, and how delicious this recipe ended up! I also would like to say I have no officially added couscous as a pantry staple! Really this is what our little group is all about. Pushing each other to create delicious and new recipes, even with the ingredients some of us may not care for or are too familiar with. So with out further adoo, I bring you Roasted Tomato Bacon & Couscous Soup.
This really was a one pot wonder from start to finish, and the result? Warm, bacon deliciousness!
- 6 slices of uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet white onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 2 cans (398mL each) Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 cups couscous, cooked
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped, to top
- In a large stock pot, over medium heat, add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon bits and reserve on a lined plate (to soak up the grease).
- Drain about half of the grease in the bottom but do NOT wipe clean!
- In the same pot on medium heat, add the chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until softened. Add the pepper and stir to they sauté a few minutes.
- Add both cans of tomatoes and stir making sure to lift/get all the crispy bits off the bottom.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Right before serving, add the couscous and stir everything together until the couscous is warm
This delicious, hearty and simple soup will have everyone gathering around the table in no time! Plus there might be enough for lunches the following day!
Thank you so much for stopping by today… but wait – there’s more! My awesome #FoodieMamas have come up with 10 delicious and amazing couscous recipes! I know I will defiantly be making a few now that the ‘so-so ingredient from a far’ has now found a permanent space in my pantry!