What a wonderful way to start today off… a delicious and delectable meal that has been brought to you by myself, and my fellow #FoodieMamas! Oh yes everyone! We are back… but this time, not just with a single task… no we had to take potatoes and make them for breakfast! I know, potatoes can be so simple, but when we all got together, I have to say it was an amazing way to really showcase how creative we all are!
I’m bringing you Potato Pancakes, but these are topped with a fried egg and Mornay Sauce. This rich breakfast will satisfy you and your family – there’s no doubt about it! It’s a three part breakfast but you can easily take each piece and use it how you will!
- 6 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp white, all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
I have to admit: I couldn’t find mornay cheese when I went looking so I substituted gruyère cheese and it did the trick! Feel free to use either.
- 2 + 1 tbsp butter (separated)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp white, all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup gruyère cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- salt & pepper to taste.
When making this dish I suggest making the potato pancakes first, as they can be reheated in your frying pan just before serving. The Mornay Sauce requires your undivided attention so make sure you are focused… and here we go!
- Beat eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and onions together.
- Mix in your shredded potatoes.
- Bring your skillet to high heat. Working in batches and adding 1 tbsp vegetable oil at a time, add 1/3 cup of the potato mixture to your hot pan. Cooking 3-4 minutes, and flipping. Cook another 4 minutes (or until golden and crispy). Remove and let sit on a paper towel lined plate (to let drain).
- Continue until you’re done!
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat add milk and salt. Bring to a rolling boil. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add onions and butter. Sauté over medium heat until onions are soft. Add flour, and whack well until everything is combined. Remove from heat, add milk, and whisk until mixture has thickened.
- place the mixture over low-medium heat, and whisk in nutmeg and cayenne pepper and black pepper. Remove from heat and add cheese.
- Make sure cheese is melted completely and add butter. Whisk ensuring there are no lumps of any sort.
- Serve over fried egg and potato pancakes.
- Reheat two potato pancakes per person (if you want) in a frying pan.
- Place on plate, and fry an egg (so the yolk is runny).
- Place egg on top of two potato pancakes, and top with Mornay Sauce.
- Sprinkle with chives, green onion or cilantro!
And there you have it! A delicious meal to impress your family or guests! A great way to incorporate potatoes into breakfast without it being the standard home fries!
But the Breakfast Potato fun doesn’t stop here! My fellow #FoodieMamas have come up with some amazing recipes that will get you drooling, and planning your next weekend brunch menu!
Deepika from Easy Baby Meals used potatoes in this recipe for Breakfast Tikkis!
Sarah from Life’s Little Sweets also jumped on board and made these Gluten Free Potato Pancakes.
Chrissie from The Busy Baker took potatoes to a whole new level making this amazing Waffle Iron Hashbrown Breakfast Potatoes!
Emily from The Best of This Life made these delicious Chive and Garlic Brunch Potatoes!
Ali from Home and Plate shredded her ‘taters and turned them into Shredded Tater Cupcakes with Gruyere & Bacon.
And Manju from Cooking Curries whipped up potatoes in this Kerala Style Breakfast Potato Stew!
Thank you wonderful friends for stopping in today! I’m so happy that you took a little time out of your busy day to stop by and read what we’ve all worked on so hard! Leave a little love below if you see something you like, or if you have any suggestions for a breakfast potato dish! I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!