Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffle
First off, I just want to give a BIG shout out and thanks to Kim from Feed Me, Seymour for extending the invitation to join all these wonderful food bloggers in the Waffle Week Waffle Round-Up of 2015. Secondly, I want to thank you all for your patience! Since Hazel’s arrival a week and a half ago, our home has been a little crazy busy, then school started this week… and all that comes with that… it’s been CRAZY! I’m hoping to get back on track shortly, but in the meantime, I still wanted to participate in this AMAZING round up of deliciousness! And perfect for weekend morning breakfasts for you and your family!
Welcome to #WaffleWeek2015 ! How amazing is this?! A whole week dedicated to a fluffy & delicious breakfast… topped your way! Today I’m bringing you my take on a breakfast classic with some fun flavours. These Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles incorporate everything you love about breakfast! So let’s get to it!!
- 4 mild italian sausages
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- 2-3 tsp fresh thyme
The How- To:
- Remove sausage from the casings. Cook crumbled sausage in a pan until cooked all the way through. Once cooked through, remove the sausage with a slotted spoon.
- Add unsalted butter to pan and melt. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add apple and cook until soft. If you find your pan getting a little dry, add water to help soften the apples.
- Once apples are cooked through and soft, add thyme & cooked sausage. Turn to low and keep warm while you make your waffles. If it’s a little dry when you’re ready to serve, add a little more butter.
Note: my focus for this recipe was really about the topping. I used a basic waffle recipe that created fluffy and light waffles, perfect to balance out the flavours of the apples & sausage. You can find a basic waffle recipe here: Simple Waffles from Scratch by The Food Network.
- Once your waffles are ready, serve the sausage mixture warm on top. Serve alone, add an extra sprinkle of thyme or even a slice of brie cheese!!
The deliciousness doesn’t stop here… check out all of the amazing waffle creations from other amazing bloggers!! Thank you so much for stopping by today! More tasty recipes will be coming your way shortly… if I can put Hazel down and get a little work done! 😉 Have a wonderful day!
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Bacon Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Pumpkin Waffles with Butter Pecan Maple Syrup or Chocolate Waffles by With Salt and Wit
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet potato waffles with horseradish sauce by Our Good Life
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken & Belgian Waffles w/ Chili Whipped Butter & Maple Glaze by Blue Crab Martini
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Chocolate Strawberry Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic
What a wonderful topping for your waffles. A good hearty breakfast to give you lots of energy for Hazel
What a great way to turn waffles into a hearty meal. My family will love it.
I’m so happy to have been involved in this project with so many talented bloggers.
Yum! These look amazing! I love the sausage and apple combo. It’s one of my favorite flavors!
This sounds wonderful! Apples and sausage are always such a great pairing and I would gladly eat those waffles for any meal of the day!
A savory waffle, I like that idea! Sounds yummy!
Oh my goodness, those waffles sound so good!
That last shot was amazing! 🙂 I love the idea of the combination of the sausage and apples!
Apples and sausage just go so well together. Also I am jealous of your waffle iron shape. So pretty.
These waffles sound so much more delicious than straight up sugary waffles in the morning!
These sound so good! The older I get the more I like the sweet with savory. Yum!
Great idea for dinner! I love sausage and apples!
This looks tasty! Will have to try it soon.
Thanks so much for linking up with #justanotherlinky
These look truly delicious! Thanks for sharing on #justanotherlinky xx
Apples and pork are such a classic combination, I like that you chose a sausage for your waffles topping creation. Perfect sweet and savory breakfast or dinner!