So finally the cooler temperatures have set in… don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy summer, and will probably enjoy it more next year, but being pregnant and hot with only limited access to air conditioning made for the summer of 2015 to be a tough one. Now for the relief of the cooler months. I love fall. Not just for all things pumpkin that happen here at our home, but I love fall fashion (I am addicted to scarves), fall cooking (soups, stews and chills anyone?!), and I love love love the fall colours. The vibrant oranges, reds, yellows?! YES PLEASE! Plus the classic fall flavours… and in season produce! Earlier this month I purchased 25 lbs of juicy and delicious roma tomatoes. You think i’m nuts right?! Well just hold on a second… because I spent two days with my oven going and the house smelling amazing. I did roast almost the whole 25 lbs, but saved a few of those little ruby red gems for something special… and today I share with you Roasted Tomato Salsa!
- 4 – 5 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1/3 cup corn kernels (defrosted if you’re using frozen)
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil. Cut tomatoes lengthwise once, and place cut side down on the cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub the tomatoes with oil so they are coated. Sprinkle Salt & Pepper.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes – 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them. You know they are done when the skins on the tomatoes are charred black.
- Remove and let cool.
- In a food processor OR on a bowl using a hand mixer add the cooled tomatoes, onion, cilantro, cumin, lime juice, and smokey paprika. Pulse until you get the consistency you desire (less if you want chunkier style, and more if you want a smoother consistency).
- Stir in beans and corn. Add more salt & pepper if you desire (to taste).
- Serve with your favourite tortillas chips!
I always like to have a couple tomatoes on hand, and purchase them regularly in my grocery order. That way if friends show up, or if I’m a pinch for something to snack on (appetizer style), I can easily make this recipe. It’s fresh tasting, and so easy even your kids can help! Want to kick it up a notch? Add a seeded jalapeño pepper!
Thank you so much for join in me today! I always love to get feedback, suggestions, comments… please feel free to share below! Also, for fun sneak peaks with what’s cookin’ in my kitchen follow me on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook!
As for those roasted tomatoes I was telling you about earlier… come back soon! The recipe will be shared! Have a wonderful day! Cheers! xo