I think my favourite part of summer is the BBQ… well one of my favourite parts. I love that any meal can be transformed into grilled goodness and this summer, I making no exception to that rule. I also think that Clint likes to participate in the cooking, and chatting, and relaxing, and enjoying being outside part of it! He’s always asking what’s for supper – and offering to fire up the grill. A couple years ago, he ended up getting (thanks to some friends) a dual propane/charcoal BBQ with a side element. This is by FAR one of the best purchases I think he has EVER made. What can I say?! I love steak on charcoal, and he has definitely perfected the ‘art’ of the charcoal grill.
In saying all of this, today’s recipe involves the BBQ! Surprise! 🙂 We are enjoying Chilli-Lime Chicken Skewers. This is a fantastic recipe grilled, but if you’re in a bind, you can always bake it in the oven. Onions, peppers and chicken make this simple main dish easy to make during the week, and after making it, there weren’t any left overs.
I served it with a side of basmati rice (yes, I backed off the salad for a night ;)), and to kick it up a notch, I added a squeeze of lime juice and about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro mixed in at the end.
Also, I made my Roasted Tomato Relish as a side dip. It added another layer of sweet, citrus and cilantro to this dish. Everyone dug in quickly once it was served and there were smiles around the table as we chatted about our day.
- 2 large (or 3 medium) Chicken Breasts cut into cubes
- 5 tbsp Olive oil, plus more for drizzling.
- 1 tbsp smokey paprika
- juice of 1-2 small limes
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chilli powder (add 1/2 and taste to see how ‘hot’ you like it)
- 1/2 yellow, orange & red pepper, cut into squares
- 1 medium onion, cut into cubes
- salt & pepper to taste.
- Preheat your BBQ to a medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, add 4 tbsp olive oil, smokey paprika, lime juice & chilli powder. Whisk together until mixed well and add chicken. Mix chicken until everything is evenly coated. Set aside.
- On a plate add cut peppers and onion. Drizzle with olive oil, and add salt & pepper to taste. NOTE: I use two metal skewers per serving so the peppers & chicken hold better when grilling. If you don’t have metal skewers wood ones are fine, just make sure to soak them in water an hour before to prevent burning.
- ‘Thread’ meat, peppers and onions onto skewers. Add as much of one or all three as you like!
- Once the BBQ is ready, add the skewers and cook for about 15 minutes on one side.
- Flip and cook until chicken is cooked through (around another 10 minutes).
When they are done, serve with the rice & Roasted Tomato Relish and you have an easy and delicious meal!
While it does take a little longer then 30 minutes to make, it’s still an easy meal and you can do tons of meal prep the night before (cut up the vegetables, prepare the chicken, heck stick ’em on the skewer!). I love that you can serve this ON the rice, beside the rice etc… always lots of ways to personalize this to your friends & families likes. Plus, take a moment, and make it look pretty. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, you can get ideas and tips from my recent Small Things post!
Thanks again for stopping by today. It always means a lot when you share your thoughts, ideas, or even just tell me if this was a hit or miss in your home. I love cooking for my family, and hope that this inspires a few new meal ideas on to your table. I hope you have a wonderful week, and we will chat soon! Cheers! xo