So simple, it’s the perfect “treat” for a Saturday morning. And who doesn’t like having a fancy coffee in their pjs with out the embarrassing display of sitting at your favourite coffee shop, hair messy, no make up, teeth not brushed, in your slippers and pjs. Don’t get me wrong – the thought HAS crossed my mind, but I’m not sure how welcome I would be the next time I showed up.
So to prevent that little display, I thought I would share a quick and easy café au lait recipe. I personally don’t mind taking the extra 5 minutes to get this little cup of perfection done, and frankly it’s worth the wait 😉
- 1 1/4 cup of Milk (I used 2%, but you can use whatever you prefer)
- 1 1/4 cup of coffee (prepared)
- dash of cinnamon
- On the stove top heat your milk until it’s steaming but NOT bubbling. You don’t want to ‘cook’ your milk.
- Make coffee! I love our Tassimo and use it pretty much every morning as a touch and go on our way out the door. Although I will admit there are times I would prefer to have a coffee pot, but the simplicity and speed of this works for us for now. One day though, I would LOVE to have an actual espresso/coffee machine. Until then I shall dream…
- Pour the Milk into your cup. You want to use about 1 cup of milk. Pour the whole 1 1/4 cup of coffee incoffee cupto the same mug.
- I have this little handy dandy milk frother, a small appliance that I love to use to make my homemade drinks just that much more special. So in a glass I poured 1/4 cup of milk, and frothed away. This is not at all necessary – I just love the little extra details.
- Once that is complete, you will have a little milk left at the bottom, so when you’re pouring your frothed milk into your coffee cup, hold the frothed part back, and any remaining milk will drain out first. Then the frothy goodness.
- Add a dash, sprinkle, bucket load (whatever) of cinnamon to top, and enjoy!
There are a whole lot of steps for such a quick drink, but trust me – it’s worth it! This recipe can be doubled (for two servings), tripled… whatever you need. If you’re doing drinks after a dinner party yours guests will be wowed with all the “effort” you put into this. It also goes well with brunches, lunches, breakfasts, or a mid-day pick me up!
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen… my homemade 5 minute Café au Lait minus the embarrassing display at your favourite coffee shop. Thank you for stopping by today, and hopefully this inspires you to take a few moments for yourself and enjoy a special treat from the comfort of your own home.